Thursday, April 4, 2013

chalkboard table DIY


I feel like it has been a long time since a DIY was done on this blog, but today I am showing you my most recent and favorite addition, the chalkboard table. Black and white has been an obsession of mine lately, and when thinking of what I wanted to do with this table, a light bulb went off that went a little something like, "Chalkboard paint is black, and you already have white paint and chalk. It will be cheap and awesome." So I went with it.


This sad story of a table was pulled from a pile of trash from the side of the road a few months ago. I loved the legs, just not the green color with gum stuck to the bottom, yuck. So sanitized and sanded she was.


These are the basic necessities for creating your own chalkboard table. Paint brush, of course, white (or whatever color) paint. I would choose a matte or eggshell finish to match the chalkboard paint. ***Since I was cheap, I bought chalkboard spray paint. However, I did not realize just how much I needed, so I ended up having to go back and buy another can. By that time, I could have bought a quart of regular chalk board paint. Either one works great. Wait at least 24 hours before placing anything on top of the table.


I also wanted to take a second in this DIY to talk about a couple different chalk options. When I first did the table, I used regular chalk for the lettering. After doing some research, I found chalk ink like this one and knew I had to try some out. Since bringing the table inside and rearranging some things, I decorated the table with the chalk ink and love the results! Works better than regular chalk and comes off easier too. Win win I say.


I love the way this table turned out and I think it will be a staple piece for years to come. Plus it gives a home to my succulents, and we all know how much I love those.

Happy DIYing!
PS: lettering on pictures done with my new Wacom Bamboo Capture Tablet! So excited with the creativity I have with this piece and cannot wait to do more with it.

2 comments:

gloyahh said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

The results look great with the chalk ink! I may give this project a go x

Amy said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is seriously so cute!

Pin It button on image hover