Friday, October 12, 2012

friday favorites: tattoo


When explaining to people why I have tattoos, I am sometimes at a loss for words. Sometimes because I feel as though they don't actually care to know why, and even if I did give them a reason, it wouldn't be good enough for them. There is also a feeling of privacy. It's one thing if people I know ask me, but if strangers are curious, I can easily feel like it's none of their business. There are some things in life that can be just too personal to share. As I got my second tattoo, this was something that played over in my mind. What was I going to tell people when they asked me why I got this tattoo? Right after I got it, I posted a picture to instagram with the caption,

"I have been blessed to have been shown the love of a sailor, and held the key to someone's heart."

My grandparents have been a great influence and support in my life. There are not enough words to say how much they mean to me and how blessed I feel to have been given this much time with them. I always knew that one day I would get a tattoo in remembrance of them and I am so happy that they got to see it. Not because they like tattoos, but because of what the tattoo means. A ships wheel and an anchor for my "Pa." For the strong navy man that took care of his family with pride. A key to symbolize my "Ma," who always tells me I have the key to her heart, but really I think she has the key to mine.

I got this tattoo in remembrance of them, but in the end, it is for me. To remember the lives they led and that I would be become nothing short of amazing, if only I follow their lead.



6 comments:

katie walker said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

i love this tattoo, and i love the meaning behind it. and i totally understand the feeling of not wanting to tell people, or that they really dont care. i think that a tattoo is all about what it means to you, or that you just like it! i've been thinking a long time about getting one that reminds me of my grandparents too, and i think yours is awesome!

-katie

meandmr.com said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Newest follower here. I love your blog, and cute tattoo! I love the location.
-meandmr.com

Allison said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love it! I'm thinking about a tattoo as well for my grandparents. I love this!

Allison
http://allisonbc.blogspot.com/

AngieB said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

LOVE your tattoo! Adorable blog, following now :)
Check mine out?
http://angieb5989.blogspot.com/
xo

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Beautiful tattoo. I love that you took the time to really think about what you wanted. that you just did not slap something on your skin. the meaning is precious and its a beautiful reminder for you for the rest of your life. what does your other tattoo on your wrist mean and why did you get it? if you don't mind me asking.

Sierra said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is such a sweet post, Amy! I love the design and placement of this tattoo, and the meaning behind it is so sweet.

Pin It button on image hover